I had tried selling my Dad’s phone online. I placed the ads and shared my phone number. I received many phone-calls from prospective buyers. That’s when I realized the hassles associated. Selling appeared like a Herculean task as people wanted to know so many details! Let me tell you that as I pay much attention to details, I made special effort to first explain in the ad & then explain again in detail over the phone! Many kept on calling and demanded details though I had provided all the info about the phone in the ad! So much info was not enough for them!
Some reasons why I prefer chat over phone-call:
1. Non-intrusive & non-disturbing – Unlike a phone call, we can attend to a chat message at our own pace & time. A phone-call demands urgent attention and reception! Before I call up anyone, usually I wonder whether it’s a right time to call. I do not have similar thoughts while messaging. One can fix up a suitable time for chatting & can devote time exclusively when one is free.
2. Can be copied & repetitive – We can copy and send the chat details to many prospective buyers as they have similar queries. Mostly people have similar inquiry about features and other details that can become a pain & repetitive on the phone! How many times would you like to make the same explanations? So simple! Just copy and send the same chat messages to multiple people!
3. Photo Sharing- Pictures & Videos speak more than a thousand words - No matter how much we explain over the phone, we can’t say as much as a single picture or video can. In my dad’s phone’s case, where I shared many pics, an interested buyer even spotted the tiny black spot on the screen, while another got his answers about the screen's scratch-free condition. Phone-calls don’t have images or pictures or videos. Rather, the buyer may demand us to send them via chat. When we do so, we save ourselves from extra explanation & effort!
4. Chat History- Chat-message history & record can be saved & retrieved later – I always like to access my chat-message history so as to be on the safe side. Phone-calls don’t provide us this benefit of saving and retrieving later. We have proof on our side!
5. No problems with Family - Family-members like in-laws generally have complaints when we speak longer on the phone! My child had issues that instead of helping her with her studies or maintaining silence, I was discussing on the phone & she got disturbed!
6. Number Privacy - We can chat with interested buyers without giving away our personal phone-number. This is a great feature available with chat. In my online-selling experience, some people wanted to make me their “friend” (and asked me questions like- "Will you friend me?!"), others tracked my number via WhatsApp and I received some indecent messages and proposals that I found very disturbing. Number privacy on Quikr while selling, will ensure chatting without giving away our details like gender or photo! That means peace of mind!
All the above points prove that chat messages are way better than phone-calls!
For the Quikr & IndiBlogger HH activity.