I had started my Blog two years ago without much info about Blogging.
Before Blogging, I had got many articles, stories, poems etc published in the leading magazines and newspapers.
I am aware of the kind of situation one has to go through to ensure that a written-work gets published!
But, in Blogging, one just has to express one's thoughts by typing them out & then hit Publish!
Hey Presto! We have published our posts in Cyberspace!
As I shared in the first sentence of this post, I had no clue about the finer-details about Blogging (even now I don't know much & am still learning, but at least I know a bit more than I knew 2 years ago!)!
I opened a Blog in Blogger that too because of my sister's insistence & persistence!
Having opened my Blog in Blogger, I got the .blogspot.in name in my Blog - www.anitaexplorer.blogspot.in
I was advised by many to go for my own Domain-name.
Alok Vats, SEO, Writer & Blogger- www.inewsindia.com and www.techacid.com, has written many posts about Blogging. Alok had a huge role in convincing me. To quote him:
"Honestly Anita, why I tell everyone to blog for their own domain name is because people don’t actually remember the Blogspot or Wordpress.com domain names, but when you have your own domain name, people will surely remember it with your name. Thus, now you will blog and people will remember your blog's name as well."
Own domain name is considered good and shows a serious Blogger.
It proves beneficial in the long run & posts rank higher in the search-results.
I applied for my own Domain Name based on Alok's guidance in his post - How To Move BlogSpot To your Own Domain Name.
Now I have www.anitaexplorer.com
It feels nice & important to have my own Domain Name.
The links of my posts, that I share, are now smaller as anitaexplorer.com in the link is smaller than anitaexplorer.blogspot.in :D
But, here are five points I wish to share-
1. My Blog's Followers & some other gadgets, were broken with the following Error Message-
This gadget is configured incorrectly. Webmaster hint: Please ensure that "Connect Settings - Home URL" matches the URL of this site."
I was concerned that perhaps I had lost my Followers! I contacted the Google Forum for support & got a prompt reply from Nitecruzr of The Real Blogger Status.
I can now relax & be patient for the new URL to take effect.
2. My Alexa & other Blogging ranks have sharply plummeted, dropping to the lowest in my Blogging-career, as my Blog now has a new DomainName or URL.
This can affect those who have applied to 'exclusive clubs' that are based on the ranks.
3. I had to request the Blogging Networks/Communities to update my Blog's new URL.
4. I have to start out with new 'links' viz. earlier I had '180' links for my blogspot.in URL. Now, the links & popularity for the new Domain Name - www.anitaexplorer.com has to be built... (I am told that the links will also be forwarded to the new Domain, but not to sure how that will be as now the Blog address is different and links need to be built.)
5. This is treated as a new Blog & Google has to do a lot of indexing and my blogspot.in as well as the new Domain name both are appearing in the search-results now!
These are some initial hiccups that should sort out after the 'Migration' or 'Transition' period.
Hope all is well soon!
Waiting & hoping for the best!
Do you have your own Domain Name or plan to apply for one? Do share your views...